Here are some general guidelines to follow to ensure that you stay healthy while
traveling in Peru.
Do and Don't
- Take plenty of insect repellent containing DEET if you plan
to visit the jungle.
- Take malaria prevention medicine in prone ridden areas.
- wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- Carry a roll of toilet paper with you because bathrooms are often lacking.
- Wear long sleeves and pants from dusk to dawn when you are visiting the jungle
and sleep under a mosquito net.
- Drink tap water. Only drink bottled water and ask for drinks
without ice (sin hielo).
- Eat salads and only eat fruits and vegetables that you can peel first.
- Eat food from street vendors.
- Eat dairy products unless they have been pasteurized.
- Touch animals like monkeys, dogs or cats to avoid diseases such as rabies.
- wim in fresh water. The ocean is better, but first ask a local how safe it is.
Some beaches are contaminated.